The Global Centre for Pluralism is a new global destination for dialogue and learning about the principles and practices that support - and impede - pluralism. Inspired by the example of Canadian pluralism, we are headquartered in Ottawa.
Photo Credit: Marc Fowler
330 Sussex Drive
The Global Centre for Pluralism has now moved to our new global headquarters at 330 Sussex Drive in Ottawa. On January 23rd, 2017 the Centre raised the Canadian flag at its new home.
330 Sussex Drive was built between 1904 and 1906 by the Chief Dominion Architect of the time, David Ewart, whose other notable Ottawa buildings include the Royal Canadian Mint and the Canadian Museum of Nature.
The decision to build the Dominion Archives reflected a growing interest and pride in Canada’s heritage and identity. The structure at 330 Sussex Drive was part of a broader initiative led by Prime Minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier to transform the capital city of Ottawa into a prestigious destination and a centre for intellectual development.
The original wing of 330 Sussex was a three-storey stone building with a central entrance built between 1904 and 1906 in the Tudor Gothic architectural style. In 1925, another wing was built to accommodate the growing collection of archival records. This addition was built at a right angle to the original with the hope that a third wing might be introduced along its north edge as the institution continued to expand.
Photo credit: © Library and Archives of Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada, PA-34242
The building first served as the Dominion Archives of Canada from 1906 until 1967, and was the home of the Canadian War Museum from 1967 to 2005. The building was designated a National Historical Site in 1990.
The building was leased by the National Capital Commission to the Global Centre for Pluralism, giving the building new life as a global hub for research, learning and dialogue about the values, policies and practices that advance respect for diversity both in Canada and globally.
A permanent home for the Global Centre for Pluralism
The award-winning Canadian firm KPMB Architects have led the transformation of 330 Sussex Drive into the Centre’s global headquarters. Considerable investments have been made by His Highness the Aga Khan to bring this building back to life with full respect for its important heritage.
We look forward to welcoming the public to the Centre’s new home with a visitor program beginning in June. Please join our mailing list if you would like updates on the building, events and activities at the Centre.